Hindoo temple, Bandel
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of a Hindu temple at Bandel, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Bandel, 1.6 km north of Hooghly was made a Portuguese settlement in 1580. A Portuguese monastery and church were built here in 1599 but was demolished in 1640. In 1660 John Gomez de Soto rebuilt the famous catholic Church of Our Lady of the Rosary.