Hindoo temple, Chinsurah 247252
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of a unidentified Hindu Temple in the town of Chinsura, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Chinsurah, on the right bank of the river Hooghly, was a Dutch colony from the seventeenth Century, it was ceded to the British in 1825 in exchange for English possessions in Sumatra. It was situated up-river from the earlier British settlements at Hooghly and Calcutta. It was used as a military invalid depot and for regiments arriving from or proceeding to England but in 1871 the military station was abandoned and utilised for public purposes such as schools.