Honeymoon Lodge, Barrackpore Park
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of Honeymoon Lodge from the 'Walter Hawkins Nightingale (PWD) collection: Album of views of Calcutta, was taken by an unknown photographer in the late 1870s. Barrackpore, fourteen miles from Calcutta, was originally a permanent barracks, but when Marquess Wellesley took over the Commander-in-Chief's residence, in 1801, he decided to make improvements to the area. As well as building a summer residence for future Governors-General he landscaped the gardens and added an aviary, a menagerie and a theatre. Barrackpore Park then became a popular place for leisure pursuits. Bungalows were built in the park initially as sleeping quarters for the Governor-General's staff, as Barrackpore House could not contain enough south-facing bedrooms to enable them to catch the southern cooling breeze.