Photograph with a view from an elevated position, looking along a street and over rooftops in Hyderabad in the Sindh province of Pakistan, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1890s. Hyderabad was founded in 1768 on the ancient site of Nirun Kot by Ghulam Shah of the Kalhora dynasty ruling Sindh. It was named after Ali, the Prophet's son-in-law, who was also known as Haider. It continued to be the capital of Sindh under the Talpur Mirs who succeeded the Kalhoras, until it fell to the British in 1843 after the battle of Miani six miles north of the city. The British transferred the capital to Karachi. [Hyderabad briefly regained its position as capital of Sindh from 1947 to 1955 when Karachi was capital of Pakistan, but again was supplanted by Karachi]. Modern Hyderabad is an important commercial center for the millet, rice, wheat, cotton, and fruit that are grown in the surrounding region. Its industries include tanneries, film studios, cement, metal and glassworks. Embroideries, lacquerware, fine textiles, and jewelry are also made in Hyderabad. Umarkot, the birthplace of the Mughal Empereor Akbar is nearby. The photograph shows one of the old city of Hyderabad's most noteworthy features, the triangular structures on the rooftops called badgirs, which are windcatchers funneling cool breezes into the homes below. This photograph is from an album of 91 prints apparently compiled by P. J. Corbett, a PWD engineer involved in irrigation work at the famine relief camp at Shetpal Tank in 1897, and in canal construction in Sindh in the early 1900s.