Huryhur. Stone with inscription. [Harihar.]
Photographer: Pigou, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of an inscribed stone slab from Harihar in Karnataka, taken by William Henry Pigou in 1855, from Taylor and Fergusson's 'Architecture in Dharwar and Mysore'. Harihar, a town on the right bank of the Tungabhadra river, is in the Davangere district of Karnataka. It has the large Harihareshvara temple complex, built in the Hoysala style, which includes several smaller shrines. There are many inscriptions in the compound from which it appears that the present temple replaced another in the reign of the Hoysala ruler Narasimha II and therefore would have been built in c. 1225. The temple is dedicated to the syncretised deity which is half Vishnu (Hari) and half Shiva (Hara).