Hardeo Bhawan, Deeg
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of the Hardeo Bhavan, at Dig, Rajasthan, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The Hardeo Bhavan is one of a group of pavilions in the beautiful 18th-century garden palace of the Jats of Bharatpur at Dig, built by Badan Singh (ruled 1722-33), and extended by his son Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63). It lies to the south of a small garden court in the south-eastern corner of the palace complex that replicates in miniature the main formal garden at the centre. The Hardeo Bhavan may have been the zenana or women’s quarters as it contains pierced screens or jalis to guard female privacy. This view of the exterior façade shows a projecting screened arcade with a central domed balcony at the upper level, beneath a deep double cornice supported by carved brackets.