Interior of Jain Temple, Gwalior Fort
Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the interior of the great Sasbahu temple at Gwalior, taken by Deen Dayal in the 1870s. The two Vaishnava Sasbahu Temples were erected by the Kachchhapagahata rulers in the hill fort at Gwalior, their main seat. The larger of the two temples was completed by Kachchhapagatha Mahipala in 1093. The temple stands on a platform and consists of a sanctuary with a vestibule (antarala) and a closed hall (mandapa) with three entrance porches. The antarala as well as the entrance porch are two-storeyed while the mandapa is three-storeyed and is covered with a bell-roof (samvarana). The spire over the sanctuary is lost. The sculptural decoration is very rich both outside and inside the temple. This view shows the interior of the mandapa with massive pillars decorated all over with scrolls, bands of figures and stylised foliage. The doorway and the ceiling are also covered with finely etched foliate decoration.