Interior of St Andrew's Church (Presbyterian), Kurrachee [Karachi].
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the interior of St. Andrew's Church in Karachi from the 'Album of architectural and topographical views, mostly in South Asia' taken by an unknown photographer c.1870. Karachi, the former capital of Pakistan, is the largest city and main commercial centre of the country and the capital of Sindh province in the lower Indus valley. The Anglican St. Andrew's Church or Scotch Church was completed in 1868. The designer of St. Andrew's was T.G. Newnham, a Chief Resident Engineer of the Sindh Railway. Its architecture blends the Romanesque and Gothic styles. In this view of the interior of the church we can observe the lighting effect created by the large rose window, which is eighteen feet in diameter. The nave of St Andrew's is over one hundred feet long and provides seating for 400 people.