Photographer: Biggs, Thomas
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a temple at Aihole, in the Bijapur District of Northern Karnataka, taken by Thomas Biggs 1855. Aihole was one of the capitals and an important commercial centre of the Early Western Chalukya, a powerful dynasty which ruled the Deccan from the 6th century. Together with the two other capitals of Badami and Pattadakal, the site has preserved many Hindu and Jain temples which belong to a period that goes from the 6th to the 12th centuries, belonging to the Early and Late Chalukya periods and to the Rashtrakuta era. This view shows the temple called by Henry Cousens No. 53 of the Galagnatha group (9th-10th century, Rashtrakuta period). The tower has lost its crowning member. The pilastered walls are raised on basement mouldings.