Inner doorway of Sas-Bahu Temple, Gwalior Fort
Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the doorway of the sanctuary of the great Sasbahu temple at Gwalior, taken by Deen Dayal in 1882. The two Vaishnava Sasbahu Temples were erected by the Kachchhapagahata rulers in the hill fort at Gwalior, their main seat. This view shows the sanctuary doorway of the larger of the two temples. The temple was completed by Kachchhapagatha Mahipala in 1093. It stands on a platform and consists of a sanctuary with a vestibule (antarala) and a closed hall (mandapa) with three entrance porches. The antarala as well as the entrance porch are two-storeyed while the mandapa is three-storeyed and is covered with a bell-roof (samvarana). The spire over the sanctuary is lost. The sculptural decoration is very rich both outside and inside the temple. The door frame of the sanctuary is extremely decorative and is composed of sakhas, door-jambs carved with fine etched foliate decoration. The lintel is carved with figures as well as the base of the jambs.