Interior view, Elephanta, Bombay 394110
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph was taken in 1865 to form part of an album entitled 'Photographs of India and Overland Route'. It shows the great rock-cut temple on the island of Elephanta near Bombay. The temple is dedicated to Shiva and was excavated around the mid-6th century. The principal cella contains Shiva's symbol, a large monolithic linga, and is entered through four doorways each guarded by a pair of 'dvarapalas' or large guardian figures.