Indrani image at Jajpur, Cuttack District
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of an image of Indrani at Jajpur, Cuttack District, taken by William Henry Cornish around 1870. M.H.H. Kuraishi described it in his List of ancient monuments...in the Province of Bihar and Orissa of 1931, "This four-armed statue...represents Indrani, the wife of Indra, as one of the Seven Mothers of Hindu mythology. She is seated on a raised throne in an easy posture (lilasana) and is readily identifiable through her Vahana, the elephant...The goddess wears a high conical headdress, elaborate ornaments, and a sari...On her left thigh she originally held a child...The image is made of chlorite and carved in full relief."
In the 1930s the image was situated in front of the Sub-Divisional Officer's bungalow.