Interior of chamber beneath the great dome of the Jami Masjid, showing principal mihrabs and minbar, Fatehpur Sikri 1003587
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a mihrab in the Jami Masjid, Fatehpur Sikri, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Edmund William Smith in 1893. The palace-city complex at Fatehpur Sikri was built by the Mughal Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605); the Jami Masjid was completed in 1572. The mosque was dedicated to Shaikh Salim Chisti, whose khanqah was nearby and whose tomb is situated in the Jami Masjid's courtyard. There are three mihrabs in each of the seven bays of the mosque. The mihrabs are decorated with white marble inlaid into the red stone, arranged in geometric patterns. All the buildings in at Fatehpur Sikri are built of locally quarried red sandstone, known as Sikri sandstone. This is a view of part of the western wall of the sanctuary in the central area below the dome, showing the larger central mihrab with two smaller mihrabs on either side. To the right of the central mihrab is the mimbar, a raised platform reached by a set of steps.