Interior of chamber beneath the great dome of the Jami Masjid, showing principal mihrabs and minbar, Fatehpur Sikri 1003588
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jami Masjid, Fatehpur Sikri, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Edmund William Smith in 1893. The palace-city complex at Fatehpur Sikri was built by the Mughal Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605); the Jami Masjid was completed in 1572. The mosque was dedicated to Shaikh Salim Chisti, whose khanqah was nearby. There are three mihrabs in each of the seven bays of the mosque. The walls of the mosques and the mihrabs are decorated with white marble inlaid into the red stone, arranged in geometric patterns. This is a view of part of the western wall of the sanctuary in the central area below the dome, showing the larger central mihrab. One of the two smaller mihrabs can be seen on the right, partly obscured by the mimbar.