Inscribed slab from Sironi Khurd, Jhansi District
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of an inscribed slab from Sironi Khurd, Jhansi District of Uttar Pradesh, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Indian Museum Series, taken by Edmund William Smith around the 1880s-90s. In the 'North-Western Provinces List' of 1891, A. Führer wrote, "Inside the compound of Santinatha temple, some[one] has stood up and supported with brick and lime buttresses a huge slab 5 feet 10 inches by 4 feet, on which there is a rather perfect Kutila inscription of 46 lines, recording that during the reign of Mahendrapala Deva, son of Bhoja Deva, in Samvat 964, on the third of the dark half of the month Margasiras, the illustrious Undabhata, being in residence at Siyadoni, made certain religious grants to a Vishnu temple at that place. This statement is interesting, because it shows that Undabhata was a general or a feudatory of the paramount sovereigns of the country, the rulers of Kanyakubja."