Inscribed elephant capital from Kankali Tila, at Mathura
Photographer: Caney, W.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the inscribed elephant capital from Kankali Tila, Mathura, taken by W. Caney around 1872. The capital, excavated by Cunningham in 1871, shows the inscription from the reign of the Kushan King Huvishka on the base. It was excavated from the Kankali mound at Mathura. Cunningham wrote in his Report of 1871-72, "A careful search in the neighbourhood of this mound brought to light a number of very interesting stone remains...One of this is a large bell capital of a pillar surmounted by an elephant and inscibed with the name of King Huvishka and the date of Samvat 39... The trunk of the animal is broken off, but the rest is nearly perfect, although of very coarse and even rude workmanship."