Interior of the Palace, Tanjore
Photographer: Nicholas and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Elgin Collection: 'Autumn Tour 1895. Vol II' of the interoir of the Palace at Tanjore, taken by Nicholas and Company in the 1890s. The palace of Thanjavur built by the Nayaka dynasty during the 16th-17th centuries is situated inside the Great Fort, Tanjore. It is a vast building complex disposed around a series of courtyards. On the south side there is a huge eight-storey building almost 60 metres high which used to be the armoury. To the east there is the Durbar Hall, seen in this view, with a granite platform with carved panels.