Interior of Arhai-din-ka-jhopra [mosque], Ajmere
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the interior of the Arhai-din-ka-Jhonpra Mosque at Ajmer in Rajasthan, taken by Bourne and Shepherd in the 1880s, part of the Elgin Collection: 'Autumn Tour 1896'. The Arhai-din-ka-Jhonpra Mosque (or Hut of Two and a Half Days) lies just outside the Dargah of Khwaja Muin-ud-Din Chishti in south-west Ajmer. This early example of Indo-Islamic architecture was begun in c.1200 by Qutb-ud-Din Aybak (r.1206-1210), Sultan of Delhi, and completed by his successor, Shams-ud-Din Iltutmish (r.1211-1236). The mosque was built in yellow sandstone and masonry taken from local Hindu and Jain temples. In the arcades and prayer hall the ceilings are supported by triple-height colonnades composed of three Hindu or Jain pillars placed one on top of each other to create a single pillar. The mosque’s monumental façade of seven arches was added by Iltutmish and is decorated with geometric and floral motifs and Koranic inscriptions. This is a view of pillars in the prayer hall.