Island Palaces Jagmandir, Jagniwas, Udaipur
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Jag Niwas from the 'Reading Collection: Views of Udaipur taken by an unknown photographer c.1910. The photograph is part of an album containing architectural and topographical views of sites in Rajasthan, mainly of Udaipur, originally in the collection of Rufus Daniel Isaacs, Lord Reading, who served as Viceroy of India (1921-1926).
The palaces are the largest of several beautiful lake palaces at Udaipur, built by the rulers of Mewar, the Sisodia Rajputs,as summer residences and pleasure pavilions. They stand on islands in Lake Pichola, an artificial lake created in the 14th century, and appear to float on the surface of the water. They consist of pavilions set in garden courtyards filled with trees, fountains and pools and date mainly from the 17th and 18th centuries. In this view the Jag Niwas is shown at right and the Jag Mandir further away at left, with boats moored in the foreground and the Aravalli hills in the distance.