Island palace Jagmandir, Udaipur 101213
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jag Mandir from the 'Reading Collection: Views of Udaipur taken by an unknown photographer c.1910. The photograph is part of an album containing architectural and topographical views of sites in Rajasthan, mainly of Udaipur, originally in the collection of Rufus Daniel Isaacs, Lord Reading, who served as Viceroy of India (1921-1926).
Jag Mandir, a floating palace on the southern part of Lake Pichola, was started by Rajput ruler Karan Singh (r. 1620-1628) and finished by his successor Jagat Singh (r. 1628-1652). The Gul Mahal (1620-1630), visible in the center, was used by Shah Jahan (r.1628-1657) as a sancutary when he lead a rebellion against his father, the Mughal Emperor Jahangir (r.1605-1627) in the 1620s.