Island palace Jagmandir, Udaipur 101214
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jag Mandir from the 'Reading Collection: Views of Udaipur taken by an unknown photographer c.1910. The photograph is part of an album containing architectural and topographical views of sites in Rajasthan, mainly of Udaipur, originally in the collection of Rufus Daniel Isaacs, Lord Reading, who served as Viceroy of India (1921-1926).
Jag Mandir, a floating palace on the southern part of Lake Pichola, was started by Rajput ruler Karan Singh (r. 1620-1628) and finished by his successor Jagat Singh (r. 1628-1652). The Gul Mahal (1620-1630), obscured by trees in center, was used by Shah Jahan (r.1628-1657) as a sancutary when he lead a rebellion against his father, the Mughal Emperor Jahangir (r.1605-1627) in the 1620s. A white colonnade of cusped arches with a line of stone elephants above the water-level marks the perimeter of the island and the Aravalli hills can be seen in the distance.