Interior of Fort William, Calcutta
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of the interior of Fort William, Calcutta, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. Fort William was rebuilt in Gobindpore, south of Calcutta, in 1757. It was an irregular octagon with seven gates and surrounded by extensive defences. Above each of the gates there was an official residence for commanding officers and the garrison church of St Peter was also contained within its walls.