Interior of the Union Church, Simla
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph by an unknown photographer of the Union Church in Simla, part of the Dunlop Smith Collection: Sir Charles Aitchison Album of Views in India and Burma. Simla, now the capital of Himachal Pradesh, is a hill-station at a height of 7000 ft in the Himalayan foothills, developed as a summer retreat and sanatorium by the British. The Union Church was opened on the 1st May 1870 and was a place where Presbyterians and Dissenters could worship. The Rev John Fordyce was its first minister, who preached to a congregation during the summer months and during the winter acted as Commissioner of the Anglo-Indian Christian Union, a society of Evangelical churches. The church held 240 people and was built on the 'Constantia' estate in Simla.