Interior of Palace, Agra Fort and Taj Mahal
Photographer: Baker, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Agra Fort and Taj Mahal, taken by William Henry Baker in 1865, from the Edward Molyneux Collection: Album entitled 'Indian Photographs'. View looking across the courtyard of the Moti Masjid (Pearl Mosque) towards the River Jumna with the Taj Mahal in the distance. The Moti Masjid was completed in 1655, and took seven years to build. It stands at the highest point within the Fort-Palace complex. The central courtyard contains a square marble tank and a sundial in the shape of an octagonal marble pillar. Seen in the distance is the Taj Mahal, built by the Emperor Shah Jahan (r.1628-58) in 1631 following the death of his favourite wife Arjumand Banu Begum, whose title Taj Mahal (Crown of the Palace) gave the monument its name.