Iwullee. Temple and cromlech outside the town. [Aihole.]
Photographer: Biggs, Thomas
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a temple and cromlech outside the town of Aihole, in the Bijapur district of Karnataka, taken by Thomas Biggs in 1855, from 'Architecture in Dharwar and Mysore'. Aihole was one of the capitals and an important commercial centre of the Chalukyas of Badami, a powerful dynasty which ruled the Deccan from the 6th century. Together with the two other Early Chalukyan capitals of Badami and Pattadakal, the site has preserved many Hindu and Jain temples which belong to a period that goes from the 6th to the 12th centuries, belonging to the Early and Late Chalukya periods and to the Rashtrakuta era. The site is dominated by a steep hill to the south-east which still shows some of the fortifications of the Early Western Chalukya period. The temple in this view is Temple No. 53 in Henry Cousens, The Chalukyan architecture of the Kanarese Districts ( ASI, new Imperial series, vol. XLII, Calcutta, 1926), pl. xxii.