Photograph of the interior of the gateway at Jhinjhuwada in Gujarat, taken by D.H. Sykes in 1874-75. Jhinjhuwada was a border fortress towards Saurashtra under the Balhara kings in the 12th century. The massive walls of the ancient fort have impressive stone gateways with intricately carved brackets. On the side walls there are large guardian sculptures set in niches and sculptural bands surmounted by crenellation. In the 'Report on the Antiquities of Kathiawad and Kachh of 1874-75', Burgess wrote, "The gateways are much in the style and of the dimensions of the rampola at Bhumli and those at Dabhoi, but have never been so elaborately carved...Like these, and all Hindu gates, the roof is supported by brackets projected beyond each other until they approach within about 4 feet at the top, where they support massive lintels often the whole width of the gate. There are six pilasters supporting these brackets on each side of the gateway, grouped in threes...All the pilasters and brackets are richly carved on both sides, the brackets with musicians, dancing figures, men on horseback, Sardulas, &c. Below, both outside and in, on the faces of the jambs were niches containing images of the favourite gods-Ganesa, Bhavani, Mahadeva, &c. Above, on each side, was a chamber with two projecting balconies or windows, one towards the town, the other looking outwards."