Interior of Buddhist Vihara, Cave VI, Ajanta 10004477
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the verandah of cave XI, Ajanta taken by Robert Gill c.1868-70. Ajanta is situated in the modern state of Maharashtra. At Ajanta, there are nearly thirty rock-cut caves set into a cliff in a bend in the Waghora river. The temples were found by accident by Captain John Smith on a hunting trip but were not documented properly until the middle of the nineteenth century. The construction of the caves can be divided into two distinct periods, the first dating to the 1st to 2nd centuries BC whilst the second was around 500 years later. The construction of Cave VI dates to the late 6th Century. It was built on two levels, the lower hall has sixteen octagonal columns arranged in four rows. Inside the shrine there are seated and standing Buddhas. On the walls of the antechamber there are paintings representing the temptation of Mara and the miracle at Sravasti.