Interior of Buddhist chaitya hall, Cave XXVI, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the interior of the Buddhist chaitya hall, Cave XXVI at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gilll around 1868-7, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were first excavated into a horse-shoe shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River in the 2nd and 1st centuries BC. This large chaitya hall belongs to a later group from the 5th century AD. A columned verandah, now almost destroyed, extends across the facade in the courtyard before the cave. The interior of the cave has two rows of fluted columns decorated with bands of floral patterns. At the end of the central nave there is a stupa with a sculpture of a seated Buddha figure. On the wall of the left aisle there is a huge sculpture in full relief of the Buddha Parinirvana and one representing the temptation of Mara.