Interior view of Amman Mahamandapam, Nelliyapparkovil, Tinnevelly, Tinnevelly District
Photographer: Archaeological Survey of India
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph taken by a photographer of the Archaeological Survey of India of the interior of the Amman Mahamandapam in the Nelliyapparkovil Temple at Tirunelveli, dated 1900-01.
The vast temple complex of Nellaiappar, covering an area of 14 acres, is famous for its wealth of sculptural decoration and its musical pillars which produce sound when struck. The temple dates back to 700 AD. It originally consisted of two separate temples for Shiva and his consort Parvati both built by the Pandyan kings and linked by the Sangili Mandapam, built in the 17th century. Inside the temple enclosure there are many mandapas or halls. The Copper Hall of Dance called Tamra Sabhai is situated within the inner precincts of the temple. On the occasion of Arudra Darisanam (occuring in the Tamil month of Margazhi - Dec 15 - Jan 15), the images of Nataraja and Sivakami are housed here. This view shows the colonnade of the Amman Mahamandapam with piers remarkably carved with rearing yalis, monster-like animals.