Interior, Farm Caves, Maulmain 4301517
Photographer: Klier, Philip Adolphe (ca.1845-1911)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection of the interior of the Farm Caves near Moulmein (Mawlamyaing), taken by Philip Adolphe Klier in ca.1895. Also known as the Ka-yon or Payon Caves, the Farm Caves are situated in the limestone hills that rise from the plains to the east of Moulmein, and were used as Buddhist cave temples. Rock-cut temples and cave shrines such as these are found in both Buddhist and Hindu art: the rock surfaces, notably the roof of the cave, have been carved and decorated with religious imagery, and Buddha images on plinths line the cave floor. This general view shows the deteriorated condition of the interior and sculptures, many of which have been removed, destroyed, or mutilated. The photographer's name, written in the negative, has been painted out in this print.