Interior, Farm Caves, Maulmain 4301520
Photographer: Klier, Philip Adolphe (ca.1845-1911)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of the interior of the Farm Caves near Moulmein (Mawlamyaing), taken by Philip Adolphe Klier in ca.1895. Also known as the Ka-yon or Payon Caves, the Farm Caves are situated in the limestone hills that rise from the plains to the east of Moulmein and were originally used by Buddhists as cave shrines. The rock surfaces have been carved and decorated with religious imagery, and a carved stupa and images of the Buddha stand on the bedrock of the cave floor. This view shows the deteriorated condition of the sculptures, many of which have been removed, destroyed, or mutilated.