Inscription at the Choti Juma Masjid Gate, [Mandu].
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph showing a Quranic inscription on the entrance to Mughis-ud-din's mosque at Mandu, Madhya Pradesh, taken by an unknown photographer in c.1902. The mosque is one of the buildings grouped around the Sagar Talao lake and dates from c.1432. It was constructed using masonry salvaged from local Hindu temples and was originally decorated with tile mosaic and Islamic calligraphy. It is one of three mosques at Mandu all dating from the 15th century; the others being the mosque of Dilawar Khan, the oldest Islamic building at Mandu, and the majestic Jami Masjid. This is a view of the entrance porch, which projects from the front and would have been roofed with a dome which has fallen. An ancient stronghold, Mandu first came to prominence under the Paramara dynasty, rulers of the province of Malwa in central India with their headquarters in Dhar, at the end of the 10th century, and remained under Hindu rule until 1305 when it was conquered by the Sultans of Delhi. In 1401 Dilawar Khan Ghuri, Malwa's Afghan governor, broke free of Delhi and established an independent Sultanate. Mandu's golden age came as the capital of the Sultans of Malwa between 1405 and 1531. They renamed the city ‘Shadiabad’ (City of Joy) and built palaces, mosques and tombs amid the gardens, lakes and woodland within its walls. Most of the remaining buildings date from this period and were originally decorated with glazed tiles and inlaid coloured stone. With nearby Dhar, Mandu was the centre of an important provincial style of Islamic architecture characterised by an elegant and powerful simplicity that is believed to have influenced later Mughal architecture at Agra and Delhi.