Interior colonnade of old math or monastery, Lonar, Buldana District, Berar
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the interior colonade of the old monastery at Lonar in the Buldana District, Berar, taken by Robert Gill in 1868-69. In the Central Provinces List of 1897 Henry Cousens wrote that at Lonar there are, "The next Hemadpanti temple is to the north of the village, and midway between it and the temple and tank; it consists of a portico with small wings at each end open in front, but enclosed on the other side and supported by three lines of columns and pilasters opposite each column in the third rank. It measures 102 feet by 20 feet, and there has been an enclosed building in a line with one of the wings. It is supposed to have been a place of almsgiving; the recipients occupy the portico while the victuals were cooked in the enclosure."