Interior of Buddhist vihara, Cave VI, Ajanta 2067
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Stereoscopic photograph of the interior of the lower storey of the Buddhist vihara, Cave 6 at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill in 1868. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were excavated into a horse-shoe shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River in the 2nd – 1st century BC and later in the 5th century AD, a period of time which coincides with the Hinayana and Mahayana phases of Buddhist art. Cave 6 is a monastery from the late 5th century which was excavated on two levels. This view shows the lower hall which has sixteen octagonal columns arranged in four rows.