Interior of ruined Buddhist vihara, Cave VIII, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Stereoscopic photograph of the interior of a ruined Buddhist vihara, Cave 8, at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill in 1868. The Buddhist cave temples of Ajanta were excavated into a horse-shoe shaped cliff overlooking the Waghora River in the 2nd – 1st century BC and later in the 5th century AD, a period of time which coincides with the Hinayana and Mahayana phases of Buddhist art. The caves consist of prayer halls (chaityas) and monasteries (viharas), built for the Buddhist community who lived there. Cave 8 is a small vihara with two cells at each end and two at each side of the antechamber to the shrine. The whole facade has collapsed.