Stereoscopic photograph of the right of the front aisle in the Buddhist vihara, Cave 16 at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill in 1868. The thirty magnificent cave temples of Ajanta are situated in a horse-shoe valley of the Waghora river in West India and consist of prayer halls (chaityas), or monasteries (viharas), built for the Buddhist community who lived there. The first group was excavated between the 2nd - 1st century BC. After a period of more than six centuries, the excavations restarted around the fifth century AD in the Vakataka period. Cave 16 is an incomplete monastery from the late fifth century. In the 'Report on the Buddhist Cave Temples and their Inscriptions' of 1883 James Burgess wrote, "Cave XVI is a very much larger cave...but the whole of its verandah has been destroyed...at each end of the verandah, in each side wall of the hall, and on each side of the shrine in the back, are small rooms with two pillars and pilasters in front, and a carved frieze above. These lead into cells behind. The introduction of these six cells, each with its antechamber adorned with two pillars in antis, gives a variety to the plan of this cave which is not found in any other of the viharas at Ajanta, and adds to its interior a richness of architectural decoration which is most pleasing."