Interior view from the right of the verandah of Buddhist vihara, Cave XX, Ajanta
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Stereoscopic photograph of the verandah of the Buddhist vihara, Cave 20, at Ajanta, taken by Robert Gill in 1868. The thirty magnificent cave temples of Ajanta are situated in a horse-shoe valley of the Waghora river in West India and consist of prayer halls (chaityas) and monasteries (viharas), built for the Buddhist community who lived there. The first group was excavated between the 2nd - 1st century BC. After a period of more than six centuries, the excavations restarted around the 5th century AD in the Vakataka period. Cave 20 is a small monastery from the late fifth century. The verandah columns have brackets finely carved with female figures. The interior hall has no columns.