Interior of the Fort, Narwar.
Photographer: Herne, George Edward
Medium: Photographic print
This print was taken in 1869 by George Edward Herne and forms part of the Archaeological Survey of India Collections (India Office Series). Narwar Fort is situated on top of a hill five hundred feet above the surrounding countryside, 41 kilometres away from Shivpuri. Although it is now in ruins it was once a magnificent structure. It was built by the Kuchhwaha Rajputs and is typical of their architectural style with flat ceilings, fluted columns and domed kiosks.