Jawahur Burj in Bharatpur Fort
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jawahur Burj or bastion in the fort at Bharatpur, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The fort was built by the Jat king Suraj Mal (r.1733-63) on the site of a smaller mud fort when he captured Bharatpur from a rival Jat chief in 1733 and the state capital was transferred to Bharatpur from Dig. Known as the Lohagarh or Iron Fort, it proved to be an almost impregnable citadel sited at the north-west corner of the walled city and was built with massive
double ramparts reinforced by eight bastions, surrounded by a wide, deep moat. The Jawahur Burj stands in the north-west corner of the fort and was erected in 1765 to commemorate the victory over the Mughals at Delhi of Jawahar Singh, Suraj Mal's eldest son and successor. This view from the moat shows the fort ramparts, with the elevated burj within, crowned by a triple-arched baradari or pavilion on its summit.
The album of 'Views in the Bharatpur State and Neighbourhod' was presented to the India Office in 1912 by the Festival of Empire, held in 1911 at Crystal Palace in London to mark the coronation of George V. The Maharaja of Bharatpur was among the exhibitors in the Indian Section of the Imperial Exhibition held as part of the Festival.