Jamma Musjid, Delhi.
Photographer: Shepherd and Robertson
Medium: Photographic print
The Jami Masjid (1644-58), the largest mosque in India was built by Shah Jahan and named after Jahanara, his favourite eldest daughter, who was imprisoned with him by Aurangzeb. It stands on a natural outcrop of rock which dominates the city and took 5,000 workmen six years to build. The eastern gateway was opened only for the emperor, or later the Governor-General.