Jehangiri Mahal, Fort of Agra.
Photographer: Shepherd and Robertson
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jehangiri Mahal, Fort of Agra from the 'Strachey Collection of Indian Views', taken by Shepherd and Roberston in 1862.A major part of the royal fort was constructed around 1566 by the Moghul Emperor Akbar the Great, on the remains of an old mud fort, dating back to 10th century. Every succeeding Moghul Emperor, including the Sikhs and the British, added a pavilion, palace or wall to the fort. Emperor Jehangir extended the gardens and constructed the palaces in Jehangir’s Quadrangle, while Shah Jehan added the Diwan-e-Khas, Moti Masjid and his Sleeping Chambers. Aurangzeb built the impressive main gate. The famous Sheesh Mahal (the Mirror Palace) is in the northwest corner of the Fort.