Junagadh from the old fortress
Photographer: Nelson, F.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Junagadh from the Uparkot in Gujarat, taken by the travelling commercial photographer F. Nelson in the 1890s. The album is inscribed: “With best compliments from H.H. Rasulkhanji, Nawab of Junagadh (India)” and was formerly in the collection of Sir William Lee-Warner (1846-1912), who served in the Indian Civil Service and was a Member of the Council of India between 1902 and 1912.
The photograph forms the second section of a three-part panoramic view of the town, the other two parts being prints no. 2/6(67) and 2/6(69). It was taken from the Uparkot or Upper Fort, an ancient citadel in north-east Junagadh dating from the Maurya empire in the fourth century BC. Junagadh lies close to the important Jain pilgrimage site of Girnar Hill and the Ashokan rock edicts of 250 BC and has a rich architectural heritage. Within the Uparkot are rock-cut Buddhist and Jain caves dating from the 2nd century AD, step wells dating from the 11th and 15th centuries, and a 15th-century mosque. More recent monuments include the mausoleums of the state’s Muslim rulers, the Babi Dynasty, and civic and royal buildings dating from the 18th to the early 20th centuries in a mixture of European Gothic and local Indo-Islamic styles. This view looks out over the fort battlements and shows the town in the foreground with plains in the distance.