Jubbalpore, Central India. Hotel.
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph of a building in Jabalpur in modern-day Madhya Pradesh was taken by an unknown photographer in the 1860s as part of an album of miscellaneous photographs of India. Jabalpur was taken over by the British in 1817 when they defeated the Marathas. The British established a cantonment here and made Jabalpur the commission headquarters of the Narmada territories. They developed the urban fabric of the city by adding the spacious cantonment area with wide streets, government buildings and colonial residences. This building is constructed in the neo-classical style typical of much British architecture in the sub-continent.