Jain Temple at Ranpur - interior
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the interior of Jain temple in Ranakpur from James Burgess' 'Photographs of Architecture and Scenery in Gujarat and Rajputana' taken by Colin Murray in c.1872. The town of Ranpur, popularly known as Ranakpur, was named after King Rana Kumbha. It is situated in a remote valley of the Aravalli Hills and is celebrated for its impressive Chaturmukha or Adinatha Jain temple complex. An inscription in the temples bears the date 1439. The complex is set in a walled enclosure and stands on a high terrace. Smaller shrines are situated at each angle of the courtyard and are covered by rows of spires. The main sanctuary contains four white marble statues of Adinatha, the first Tirthankhara and is open on four sides. The most outstanding feature of the temple is the interior with its innumerable pillars of white marble of which no two are alike in their ornamentation. They are intricately carved with figures of dancers, attendants, musicians and guardians. The ceilings are elaborately carved with multi-lobed motifs and medallions.