Jaypur, from the Sanganer Gate
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Jaipur from the Sanganer gate from James Burgess, 'Photographs of Architecture and Scenery in Gujarat and Rajputana', taken by Colin Murray, c.1872-73. Jaipur, the famous pink city of Rajasthan, is the state capital. It was established in 1727 by Sawai Jai Singh II (r.1700-1743) and became the royal residence in 1733. The plan of the town is based on a mandala, a sacred geometric grid, the result of the fusion of Western and Eastern ideas of town planning. The city is surrounded by rocky hills to the north and east and to the north-west the Tiger Fort overlooks the city. Massive wall with battlements, called Sahar Panaha, enclose the town and reach a height of 6.1 metres and a width of 2.7 metres. There are seven fortified gateways. This is a view of the town from the Ram Pol or Sanganer Darwaza one of the three gateways to the south.