Jain temple at Dinai, Hamipur District
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a small Jain temple at Dinai, Hamipur District, taken by J.D. Beglar in 1871-72. Dinai is home to both Jain and Shivaite temples. The temple in this photograph is described in the North-Western Provinces List of 1891, "Close to the road below the hill there is a Jain temple with a colossal statue of Santinatha, inscribed Samvat 1194. The temple is an oblong externally, divided into a portico and sanctum...Inside the roof is formed of interesting squares supported by four engaged pillars at the corner of the cell. These pillars have the usual block interposed, breaking up the height of the shaft into two portions. The outer pillars of the portico, however are without blocks. The roof is externally a flat cone, with a very slight bulge, exactly like the domes over the corners and central pillars in the Qutb cloisters."