Jain figures, Gwalior 17
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a carved Jain figure at Gwalior, taken by an unknown photographer around 1882, part of the Gladstone Collection. The mighty hilltop fortress of Gwalior in central India is perched on a sandstone precipice which rises over 100 metres (350 ft) above the surrounding plains. Its recorded history begins with a 6th century inscription. In the 9th century it was a stronghold of the Gurjara-Pratihara dynasty. Between the late 9th and the early 10th centuries a number of elaborate rock-cut shrines dedicated to Jain divinities were carved in the steep sides of the plateau near the Urwahi Gate, which constitutes the western entrance to the fort. The figure in this view represents a seated Jain Tirthankara or saviour, carved in a cell.