Photograph of the Tower of Fame at Chitorgarh in Rajasthan, taken by an unknown photographer for the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Northern Circle (North-Western Provinces and Oudh) in 1896-97. The hill-top fortress of Chitor was ruled by the Guhilot (later Sisodia) Rajputs from the 8th to the 16th centuries. While there was an earlier settlement at the same location, the buildings that survive today are mainly from the reign of Rana Kumbha (1433-1468) as the fort was invaded several times and earlier structures were destroyed. In 1567, the fort was sacked for the final time by the Mughal Emperor Akbar and Rana Udai Singh II abandoned Chitor for Udaipur, chosen as the new capital of the Mewar state. The Tower of Fame (Kirti Stambha) pre-dates the fort of Chitor as it was erected in the 12th century. It measures approximately 22m high and is dedicated to the Jain tirthankar (saint) Adinath. The tower is decorated with sculptures of the naked figures of the 24 tirthankars, indicating that it is a 'sky-clad' monument. An internal staircase leads up the seven storeys to a small pillared pavilion at the top.