Jowahir Burj, Bhurtpore
Photographer: Priyalall and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Curzon Collection, of the Jawahur Burj or bastion in the Lohagarh or Iron Fort at Bharatpur, taken by the studio of Priyalall & Company in c.1900. The fort was built in 1733 by the Jat king Suraj Mal (ruled 1733-63) on the site of an older fort which he had captured from a rival Jat chief. The fort stands at the north-west corner of Bharatpur, a walled city founded by Suraj Mal as the new capital of Bharatpur State. It has massive double ramparts reinforced by bastions, surrounded by a wide, deep moat. The Jawahur Burj stands in the north-west corner of the fort and was erected in 1765 to commemorate the victory over the Mughals at Delhi of Jawahar Singh, Suraj Mal's eldest son and successor. This view from the moat shows the fort ramparts, with the elevated burj within, crowned by a triple-arched baradari or pavilion on its summit.