Jumma Musjid, Lahore
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the Macnabb Collection of the Badshahi Mosque in Lahore, taken by an unknown photographer, most likely in the 1890s. The mosque was built in 1673-74 by the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb (ruled 1658-1707) and is considered the largest in area on the subcontinent. Constructed of red sandstone and decorated with white marble, the Badshahi Mosque was modelled on the Jama Masjid of Delhi, and departs from the local Punjabi tradition of tile-facing. It has many minarets, four very tall which are positioned at the corners of the walled compound and two at each end of the massive prayer hall. This photograph shows the main façade of the hall, which is decorated with white marble ornamentation inlaid in red sandstone, and crowned by three bulbous marble domes. The vast courtyard, measuring 530 feet square over two levels, can be seen in the foreground.